Pink Bow Tie

Saturday, June 6, 2015

How To Become A Cosplayer! *PART 1*

I wish I could've come up with a more creative name for this, but idk maybe I'll change it later. X_X

So how does one start off a blog post as big and general as this one? I guess I'll just share why I wanted to do such a general post.

I always thought cosplaying was out of reach. The world of brightly colored wigs and intricate outfits all seemed so far away. Honestly, when I thought of cosplay I thought of all those professional-quality photos with beyond amazing cosplayers. Little did I know, the world of cosplay was well within reach and reason for a *normal* girl like me! ^O^

I decided to do my first cosplay when me, my friend Hannah, and my sister Becca, dreamed up the idea of being the cast of  Fairy Tail for Halloween. We quickly got our friend Christine on board, and with close to two months to go, we started our first cosplays!

So what are you waiting for? Get ready to discover your inner cosplayer, in a way that's much easier than you think!

Kiss Kiss Fall In Love! -With Cosplay, Obvi
~♥~

Step 1: The Idea

Some simple questions need to be answered first, before you start any sewing or web-shopping. (Wow that was a really bad term. Web-shopping? Tf Gaby) Get you pencil and paper out, because this is stuff you don't want to forget!

-Who do you want to cosplay?
-When or what do you want to cosplay to? (Halloween, a con, a meetup?)
-Do you want to do a group cosplay?
-Would your friends be willing to do a group cosplay? (For those of you with non-otaku friends, I'd try to make some real quickly bc you'll probably need em'!)
-Do you have the money? (More on this later)
-Do you have the time? (Especially important if you're sewing your own cosplay)
-Do you want to make or buy your costume? (More on this too later)

Take as much time as you need. After all, this stuff ain't easy.

Convincing your non-otaku friends to cosplay can be a challenge
Now that you have your idea, let's pursue it!

~♥~

Step 2: The Motivation

This step is very important. Without any exterior motivation, it's likely you'll fall into a slump of the classic "I-don't-feel-like-cosplaying". Even with motivation, this will probably happen, but I think every cosplayer has their moments. *shrug*

Some GREAT forms of motivation I have in my cosplay life include:

-A Cosplay Group

A cosplay group is a great way to step up your cosplay game and get more involved in events! It makes group cosplaying easier to organize and carry out, and it gives you a tight-knit group of friends to visit conventions with! Starting one is as simple as asking your friends if they want to start a squad with you where y'all cosplay together. (Gaby, stop you're being too weird.)

Focuses On: Group Cosplays, Visiting Conventions

*Cue snazzy music*
-Social Media For Cosplay

Obviously, I have my instagram (@the.otaku.diaries). Being committed to an account and posting often isn't easy, but it sure motivates you to get off your couch and cosplay on a daily basis! Plus, knowing you have people that support you is a great feeling. Getting compliments on your cosplay on a day-to-day basis, when you don't have to get out and about to cosplay, is perfect to keep the cosplay snowball rolling!

Focuses On: Day-To-Day Cosplay, Boosts Self-Esteem

I've always loved this picture. If you have artist credits or know who does, please inform me!

-Going To (And Planning For) Conventions

Even before we had our first costumes done, my friends and I decided to go to an anime convention! For some reason I picked one out that was really far away (Zenkaikon), but as soon as I pitched the idea to my friends they were on-board! Getting our parents to take us and pay for some of the stuff was a little harder, but they agreed (Big thanks to the parents who took us and helped with the money, btw.), and with about 6 months to the convention, we started planning who we'd cosplay. So we had gone from one cosplay planned out to about three each. I actually ended up with four cosplays, haha.

Focuses On: Getting More Cosplays Done, Group Cosplays

Friendship is a beautiful thing (◡‿◡✿)
There are many more ways you can find motivation, but it really helps a ton! :)

~♥~

Step 3: Make It Rain

This title = dead X_X

Okay, I know you're getting impatient and you just want to cosplay already, but if your broke you can't do that hun. So let's finance!

Write down every element you'll need for your cosplay. I'll show an example with Natsu.


Pink Wig:
Natsu Scarf:
Vest:
Arm Band:
Tattoo:
Belt:
Weird Skirt-Thing:
White Pants:
Black Sandals:
Happy Plush:

Now, decide what'll you'll make and what you'll buy. Remember that buying something doesn't make you and less or worse of a cosplayer, and vice versa with making. I honestly buy a lot of my cosplay elements.

For my example, I said: "Alright, I'll make the skirt thing. I'll also add the trim to the pants and vest. So I now need gold ribbon and black fabric."

Then, do some online searching and figure out how much everything will cost. Remember, it's better then to have extra money than to not have enough.


Pink Wig: $15 
Natsu Scarf: $10
Vest: $20
Arm Band: $25
Tattoo (Red Sharpie): $5
Belt: $5
Black Fabric + Gold Ribbon: $10
White Pants: $25
Black Sandals: $10
Happy Plush: $20
Total: $145

In retrospect my mom paid for a lot of this so I wasn't as cheap as I usually am. My basic cosplays usually cost around $80-$100? But more detailed cosplays are around $90-$200, depending on the detail and quality you want.

~♥~

Will be updated soon!~ Please be patient with my turtle slow pace owo

-Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment