Pink Bow Tie

Friday, September 4, 2015

How To Become A Cosplayer! *PART 2*

It's been way too long since I've updated this! I'm so sorry everyone. (~O~; )

Part 1 is here~

~Mugi Slug~

~♥~

Step 4: Research Time!

So you know what you need, but now what? You need to buy the cosplay of course! How tho? (This has gone no where. I'm sorry for my ramblings. ~o~)

It's research time now, folks! In my short time of being a cosplay (almost a year already!) I don't have that many suggestions. But here are the few I do have:

CosplayHouse.com [My review for one of their wigs is here]

MelodySusie [My review for one of their wigs is here. I recommend the brand, but I've only ordered from them via Amazon so idk about shipping]

Amazon usually has the right stuff for cosplays that can be broken down into everyday clothing items. I usually try looking on there, and I get my wigs from there often too.

Ebay you have to be careful with, but I've gotten some wigs off of there.

I make it a rule of mine to avoid AliExpress. I did get some of my Natsu items there and they were great, but I've also gotten an Ariel cosplay that was around 5 sizes too big on me and poor quality. I spent about 2 hours making alterations, and it still doesn't feel right.

In general, always look up a review or two before you buy from a certain store. There are a lot of stores out there that will give you crap quality items. Same thing with brands too. If you look in the item description on Amazon/Ebay/etc, it will often list the company and you can look them up.

Be wary of super cheap deals, kids. $10 for a Miku wig is probably a scam.

~♥~

Step 5: Getting The Money

By know you should know exactly how much money you'll need for this cosplay. This is the hard part.

Your parents are probably your best shot if you're too young for a job. Ask for allowance, do extra chores, or even ask them to help fund part of your cosplay. I personally receive allowance, which works out perfectly for me. No, it's not $80 a month, but it lets me budget my money and think How many months do I need to save up for my next cosplay? and Am I really using my money wisely?

Even so, you might need some more cash to make this happen. Save up birthday money, help out your neighbors, or babysit. Last year I helped assistant teach at my dance studio, and I got a ton of money for it. More money = More cosplay.

You'll need to know your limits though. One thing you'll quickly learn is that you can't do three good cosplays every month for the whole year unless you have a money tree in your backyard. Don't go trying to get as many done as you can and sacrifice the quality you're paying for in the process.

Pretty much every cosplayer is broke

~♥~

Step 6: The Little Things

Be sure to either check out Amazon or your local drugstore for this stuff, especially if you're going to a con.

-Wig Cap [This hold up your hair under the wig. Some wigs come with a free one, but even so you'll probably want an extra few]

-Styrofoam Wig Head [You can find this at Joanne's or Michael's

-Eyeliner [My favorite is NYC's liquid eyeliner]

-Mascara [Miss Manga by L'Oreal has always been my preference]

-Foundation, Blush, and Lip Tint/Gloss/Stick [I'm always playing around with what products I use for these three]

-Bobby and Safety Pins [They always disappear on me! *^*]

-A Staple Bag And Pair Of Shoes [This is mainly for a con. For most of my cosplays I end up using my black Converse, because they match fairly well and they're comfortable. My bag was just randomly picked off of Amazon.]

This makes my lips feel chapped... X_X

~♥~

Well; that's all for now! I'll hopefully pick this up again soon. I think I might be running out of ideas for steps. >w<

-Gaby




No comments:

Post a Comment